Covid-19 Response Fund
What is this fund for?
The fund has been established to help UNISON members working in all areas of public services who have been financially affected by COVID-19 and who are struggling to make ends meet. Financial support is available to help those most in need and will continue to be available until the fund has been used up.
How to apply
Before applying for a grant, please carefully read the following information.
• To apply to the Covid Response Fund, you must be a UNISON member and paid at least three months subscriptions at the time of applying. If you don’t know your membership number contact UNISON Direct or call 0800 0857 857. You will not be able to submit an application without this information.
• You or your partner do not have savings of more than £1,000, which includes rolling balances in bank accounts.
• You or your partner must not have received a redundancy payment of £2,500 or more in the last 2 months
• Household income has reduced as a result of one of the following criteria relating to you or your partner:
- Loss of employment and/or end of furlough resulting in job loss.
- Household income has reduced following the removal of the Universal Credit uplift
- There has been a reduction of working hours or loss of overtime due to Covid-related reasons
- There has been a reduction of income due to health issues linked to covid such as contracting covid, long covid, shielding or providing covid-related care for family.
We may need to contact you about your application so please provide your preferred contact email address and telephone number.
What can I get help with?
We can help with a one-off grant of up to £350. We want to make this fund go as far as possible and help as many members as we can. Depending on your situation help will be awarded as follows:
• £350 Living costs grant for applicants who have had a recent income reduction due to Covid-19.
• £350 Loss of employment grant
• £350 Grant for those whose income has been affected by the withdrawal of the weekly £20 Universal Credit uplift
If your circumstances have been affected in another way due to covid - such as accruing rent or council tax arrears, or you do not meet the eligibility but are experiencing financial hardship due to unforeseen circumstances, you may be eligible to apply via our main grant program
What supporting documents must I include with my application?
Depending on the grant you apply for you will be required to submit relevant supporting documents. You will be told specifically what these are when you apply but may include:
• Payslips or bank statements to show your income before reduction and income now.
• Correspondence from employer confirming your loss of employment
• 3 months Universal Credit Statements
Can I apply more than once?
Applications are limited to one per household (this applies if both partners are UNISON members) per covid programme.
However, if you have already received a grant under the Covid-19 Response Fund programme you can now still apply again to this new round of Covid-19 Response grants.
Please also note that if you’ve received financial assistance from us since March 2020 this may be taken into consideration, however please don’t let this put you off applying.